ZULHEIMY MAAMOR

Thursday, 4 December 2025

KD GANAS (P3503) IN 1981






KD GANAS
1ST SQUADRON FAST ATTACK CRAFT (MISSILE)
MALAYSIAN BASE JETTY, WOODLANDS, SINGAPORE
3.2.1981 - 27.7.1981

In 1981, after completing the Basic Radio Communication Course at KD Pelandok, Lumut, Perak, we were to be posted to our respective units. I, together with 809023 ODCR Roseli Md Zin (American), was posted to the Fast Attack Craft (Missile), KD GANAS, which was based at Woodlands, Singapore. The Commanding Officer of KD Ganas at that time was N/400438 Lt Cdr Abdul Rashid Md Isa.


KD Ganas is one of the ships of the Royal Malaysian Navy from the 1st Squadron of Fast Attack Craft (Missile). This squadron consists of 4 ships, namely KD Ganas, KD Perdana, KD Serang and KD Ganyang. Commissioned on 20 March 1973 at Cherbourg Shipyard, France. This ship is of the PERDANA Class which is equipped with the EXOCET MM 38 Missile System.

The first Commanding Officer of this ship was N/400179 Cdr RMN Muhammad Yasin bin Hj Salleh.









My coursemate ODCR Roseli and I underwent On-the-Job Training (OJT) for 6 months on board KD Ganas

We took a train from Ipoh to Johor Bahru before being transported by truck to Woodlands, Singapore. This was the first time I had set foot in Singapore. After arriving at the Malaysian Base Jetty in Woodlands, we looked for our respective ships... but KD Ganas was nowhere to be seen. Finally, we were informed that KD Ganas was in Sabah at that time. So Roseli and I were temporarily attached to the FOCRMNCCS Signal Office at KD Malaya until the ship returned to Singapore. For 3 months we were at FOC RMNCCS (Fleet Operational Command, Royal Malaysian Navy Communication Contingency System). FOCRMNCCS is now known as SKTLDM (RMN Communication Station).




The FOC RMNCCS Building (Wooden Building)... That is where Roseli and I were accommodated for about 3 months until KD Ganas returned from Sabah.


The RMN Base at Woodlands has now changed its face and become the SINGAPORE ADMIRALTY WEST PRISON.... ONLY MEMORIES REMAIN


These are two of my seniors during OJT at KD Ganas....RO Fuad and RO Amir (better known as Amir Lat) while another one is RM Basiran. The Communication crew of KD Ganas that I remember at that time besides Amir and Fuad were Osman Desa (Penaga), Adnan (Donan), LRO Chua Eng Chai, LRO Rama, Yeoman Lee Ah Sang and RS Hassan Mamak... the others I don't really remember...


CRS Hassan (Radio Supervisor KD Ganas)







The End of KD Ledang, buried in the South China Sea

One memory that I will never forget while serving on KD Ganas was the Missile Firing Exercise (Exocet Missile) in the Singapore Strait in July 1981. I still remember that this Missile firing exercise took place during the holy month of Ramadan. The ship that became the target at that time was the former KD Ledang which had been decommissioned.

After 6 months of On Job Training on KD Ganas, I was transferred to KD Raja Jarom.

EX-CREW KD GANAS (1981)







Hj Zulheimy Maamor, 
Lembah Keramat, K.L
Updated: 13/9/2026: 4.38 a.m

No comments:

Post a Comment